Before you Begin
- Review these requirements and best practices before you restore a backup to an FTD device.
- If the backup copy you want to restore is not already on the device, you must upload the backup first before restoring it.
- During a restore, the system is completely unavailable. After the backup is restored, the FTD reboots.
- This procedure assumes that you have an existing backup of the device ready to be restored to the device.
- You cannot restore a backup if the device is part of a high availability pair. You must first break HA from the Device > High Availability page, then you can restore the backup. If the backup includes the HA configuration, the device will rejoin the HA group. Do not restore the same backup on both units, because they would then both go active. Instead, restore the backup on the unit you want to go active first, then restore the equivalent backup on the other unit.
Note: The backup does not include the management IP address configuration. Thus, when you recover a backup file, the management address is not replaced from the backup copy. This ensures that any changes you made to the address are preserved, and also makes it possible to restore the configuration on a different device on a different network segment.
- In the main navigation bar on the left, click Devices & Services.
- Select the device with the backup you want to restore to a device.
- In the Actions pane on the right, click Manage Backups.
- Select the backup you want to restore. In its row, click the Generate Download Link button .
Important: The link address expires 15 minutes after you click the Generate Download Link button.
- The button now reads Download Backup Image. Do one of these things:
- If you are on a device that can also reach the Firepower Device Manager (FDM) of the device you want to restore, click the Download Backup Image button and save the downloaded file. Save it with a name that you will remember.
- If you are not on a device that can also reach the FDM of the device you want to restore:
- Right-click the Download Backup Image button and copy the link address.
- Open a browser on a device that will also reach the FDM of the FTD you want to restore the image to.
- Enter the download link into the browser address bar and download the backup file to that device. Save it with a name that you will remember.
- Log on to Firepower Device Manager for the device you want to restore.
- Open version 6.5 or higher of the Cisco Firepower Threat Defense Configuration Guide for Firepower Device Manager. Navigate to the System Management chapter, and search for Restoring a Backup. Follow those instructions to restore the image you just downloaded to your FTD.
Tip: You will need to upload your image to FDM in order to restore it.
- Follow the prompts in FDM. When the restore starts, your browser is disconnected from FDM. After the restore has finished, the FTD reboots.
- Backing Up FTDs
- Back up an FTD On-Demand
- Create a Backup Schedule for an FTD
- Download an FTD Backup
- Edit or Delete an FTD Backup