This is the simplest method of onboarding a Firepower Threat Defense (FTD) Device. However, the recommended way of onboarding the FTD device to CDO is to use the registration token onboarding approach.
For this onboarding method, you will also need this information:
- The device's administrator username and password.
- The device's IP address of the interface you are using to manage the device. This may be the MGMT interface, an inside interface, or the outside interface depending on how you have configured your network.
- The FTD must be managed by Firepower Device Manager (FDM) and configured for local management in order for you to onboard it to CDO. It cannot be managed by Firepower Management Center (FMC).
Use this procedure to onboard an FTD device using only the administrator username and password and the device's Management IP address:
- Navigate to the Devices & Services page.
- Click Onboard.
- Click Add a Firepower Threat Defense device.
- Give the device a name.
- Do not check "This device is not Smart Licensed."
- In the Device Location field, enter the Management interface IP address, hostname, or fully qualified device name of the device. The default port is 443. You can change the port number to reflect your FTD's configuration.
- Enable scheduled recurring updates for databases. This option is enabled by default, and immediately triggers a security update as well as automatically schedules the device to check for additional updates every Monday at 2AM. Click Set Schedule to modify the scheduled time.
Note: If you enable this option, this schedule will overwrite any scheduled updates you may have configured through FDM. Disabling this option does not affect any previously scheduled updates you may have configured through FDM. See Update FTD Security Databases for more information.
- Click Go.
- Once the location of the device is verified, you're prompted to enter the device administrator's username and password.
- Click Connect.
- (Optional) Once the credentials are verified, you're prompted to label the device or service. See Labels and Label Groups for more information.
- (Optional) Label your device.
- Once the device is onboarded, CDO shows it on the Devices & Services page with a "Synced" status.
- Onboard an FTD
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Firepower Licensing
- Onboard an FTD Device with a Registration Key