Meraki Templates are an excellent way to manage multiple locations or networks with a single policy. Meraki templates can be managed by both Cisco Defense Orchestrator (CDO) and the Meraki dashboard. Note that CDO deploys configuration changes to the Meraki dashboard, which in turn deploys the configuration securely to the template. See How Does CDO Communicate With Meraki for more information.
Note: To onboard a template to CDO, you must first create a template in the Meraki dashboard. Without having access to the Meraki dashboard, your organization will not be recognized by the Meraki cloud and you will not be able to generate an API token to onboard your device. In the Meraki dashbaord, click Organization > Configuration templates and read Managing Multiple Networks with Configuration Templates for more information.
Onboarding a Meraki template requires three steps:
- Create a template network in the Meraki dashboard. See Meraki Templates Best Practices for more information.
- Generate and retrieve a Meraki API key. When you onboard a Meraki template, you must generate a Meraki API key. The key authenticates the dashboard and allows you to securely onboard a device.
- Onboard a Meraki Template to CDO using the key.
Generate and Retrieve Meraki API Key
Use this procedure to enable CDO access to the Meraki dashboard with API access:
- Log into the Meraki dashboard.
- In the navigation panel click Organization > Settings.
- Under Dashboard API Access, check Enable access to the Cisco Meraki Dashboard API. Without this option, you cannot generate API keys to onboard MX devices to CDO.
- Click Save changes.
- On the Meraki dashboard, click on your username in the upper right corner of the screen and then click My Profile.
- Locate the API access header and click Generate new API key. Copy this API key. We recommend temporarily pasting it into a note until you are ready to use it. If you close the copy source before you paste the API key, you lose the copied API key.
Note: You only need one API key per template. You can re-onboard a template without generating a new key.
Onboard an Meraki Template to CDO
Use the following procedure to onboard a Meraki template:
- In the navigation pane, click Devices & Services and click the blue plus button and click Connect to Cisco Meraki.
- Paste the API access key you copied. If the key is incomplete or incorrect, you will not be able to onboard the device. Click Connect.
- Use the drop-down menu to select the template name as ab Organization. The generated list of organizations are retrieved from the Meraki dashboard and includes devices and templates. Select the desired template and click Select.
- Optionally, you can add unique Labels for the device. You can later filter your list of devices by this label.
- Click Continue. The device beings the onboarding process. Once completed, CDO redirects you to Devices & Services. Once the template is synched to CDO, the Devices & Services page displays the names of the devices associated with the template and the Device Details window of displays the number of networks bound to the template.