Uses for Bulk Read Configurations
If a configuration change is made to a device outside of Cisco Defense Orchestrator (CDO), the device's configuration stored on CDO and the device's local configuration are no longer the same. In this case, CDO displays a "Conflict detected" message to alert the administrator. The administrator performs a "Read policy" action, which overwrites the configuration on CDO with the configuration stored on the device. The two configurations are now the same, they are "Synced." The bulk read configuration function allows administrators to perform this action on multiple devices at the same time.
Another use for bulk reading configurations is to prevent changes staged on CDO from being deployed to your devices. By reading the configurations from the device to CDO, you overwrite all staged changes on CDO. This could also be a good way to revert changes you made to your devices' configurations on CDO if you need to.
Caution: Reading a configuration from your device to CDO completely overwrites the configuration stored on CDO including any changes that are staged on CDO. When using this function, the administrator assumes that the configurations on the devices are complete and correct.
How to Bulk Read Configurations
- (Optional) From the Devices & Services page, create a change request label to identify the results of this bulk action easily in the Change Log.
- Use the filter to narrow down the list of devices you want to include in your bulk read configuration request.
- Select the devices whose configurations you want to read into CDO. Notice that CDO only provides command buttons for actions that can be applied to all the selected devices.
- Click Read all.
- CDO warns you if there are configuration changes staged on CDO, for any of the devices you selected, and asks if you want to continue with the bulk reading configurations action. Click Read All to continue.
- Look at the notifications tab for the progress of the bulk read configurations operation. If you want more information about how individual actions in the bulk read operation succeeded or failed, click the blue Review link and you will be directed to the Jobs page.
- If you created and activated a change request label, remember to clear it so that you don't inadvertently associate other configuration changes with this event.